Health Benefits of Cucumbers
Because of its high water content many health benefits of cucumber are physical, such as clear skin, reduction in under eye swelling and sunburn relief. But the water content in cucumbers is also responsible for helping rid your body of toxins that can make you sick.
Although not a fat burning superstar on its own, adding cucumber to a salad can help boost your daily fiber intake for increased fat burning for weight loss. And thanks to the water content, you’ll get the fluid you need to help process fiber. The peel of the cucumber is an excellent source of dietary fiber than can relieve constipation and protect against some types of colon cancer.
- 1 1/4 kg cucumbers, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic (lehsan)
- 1 teaspoon dill seed(ajwain)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed (Rai)
- Jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Place cucumber slices in a colander(chalni) set in the sink. Sprinkle with salt; stir to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse, drain and transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, dill and mustard seed in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers; stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to bring to room temperature. Throw some jalapeno peppers on top to add a spicy flavor.